Black Friday- A Review

I saw Black Friday, last Thursday, on my birthday. I mentally prepared myself for a lot of blood and gory details, chappals strewn all over the road, limbs, wailing men and women, lonely child- kind of images. I was carrying a tissue with me to keep the tears in check. I had even taken a few deep breaths before the film began. BUT…I was speechless through the entire length of the film. It did not evoke any pity or pathos. The film told the facts as they were. It did not take sides, rather it said so much of both the sides. The best thing about the film is that it said much without speaking. I am not talking about messages. The message is loud and clear and in the very first frame- ‘An eye for an eye makes the entire world blind.’ I am talking about the way the scenes were constructed. Inspector Marya’s angst, Badshah’s distress and disgust with running from place to place, the hotelier who kills his family and commits suicide after witnessing the harassment meted out to two Muslim women. They are all human emotions portrayed in just that way. The dirty words on the walls of the interrogation room- there are no exaggerations and you can actually believe that all that must have happened.Another point that I loved was the music. You can not imagine the pace that the background score by Indian Ocean adds to the story. I, at least, can’t imagine the film without the same score. The music has also been used as a tool to convey a gamut of emotions- the fear, the anxiety, the impact- the very first scene when the blasts take place, you are on the edge of your seat in anticipation of what is about to happen, thanks to the marvelous background score.Last but not the least the film would not have had this impact without the powerful performances of each actor. Something, may be, could have done about the length, but then I am not complaining at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different