Nutan aunty and the magic of OST Judwaa

I am not educated in music but know my sargam and the 7 'sur'. I also love Hindi filmy songs. There is not one emotion that they do not express. We have songs celebrating love, happiness, parting, sadness, birth, death, marroages, mother-in-laws, hardwork, nature, nanha-munnas and what not.

I have been brought up on a healthy dose of filmy songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Being a child of the 80s and 90s, I had time and leisure in life to pop in an audio cassette into the player and loose myself to the melody.

I don't know how, when or from where did I get the silly notion that with age one has to restrict his/ her choice of songs. Somewhat meaning that as I age I had to restrict myself from right away jiving on a groovy number. This horrid notion thankfully was broken by a woman I met in Pune many years ago. I was sent to her to learn baking but more importantly I learnt that we are supposed to live as we wish and dance or sing at the top of our voices to whichever song we please. 

A mother of two grown-up girls Nutan aunty showed how mine age related notion was just horseshit. The day I started my baking lessons the first thing she did even before measuring the flour was put in a CD of (hysterical and non-sensical songs) Salman Khan starrer Judwaa.(If you have heard Oonchi hai building and Tan tana tan tan tan tara, you would know what I mean)

I still love my Rafi and SD/ RD Burman numbers but I would never shirk away from owning mylove for Sheila ki jawani or Chikni Chameli with the same gusto. As I and Chunnu tap our feet and try to copy (unsuccesfully)Sheila's moves I am thankful to Nutan aunty for helping me break free and owning up my crazy music choices (among others).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade of Motherhood: Give in

To, The Enablers

This Pujo, things feel different